8.03.2006

Classic Peemeister - You callin' me a liar!?

In honor of the complete and utter lack of anything interesting happening here the past few weeks, I've decided to go ahead and dredge up an old entry from my LiveJournal, back before the Peemeister blog existed. Here's a gem from December 9th, 2004.




This is a strange tactic I see from time to time at my job, as well as various other places in the service industry: someone will lie about something, and when confronted with their lie, will yell "Are you calling me a liar!?"

This tactic works surprisingly well. Nobody likes to be called names and, what's more, nobody likes their customers to think they're being called names. The usual response starts with "No, but..." and then concludes with an explanation of what the problem is again and perhaps a possible way it can be solved (or an explanation of why it can't be solved). If the liar is really a wily one, at this point he will shout "So you ARE callin' me a liar!"

I mention this because I hear this particular line once in a while at work, where someone will try to weasel through this loophole or that, and when I call their bluff and they're out of options the only thing left for them to do is get confrontational. Today was an oddity in that I met three people who accused me of calling them liars, spaced evenly throughout the day.

Culprit #1: Mr. McBaldington. Mr. McBaldington is the baldest man in the universe. He shows up at 9:30 am to take a drug test. This wouldn't be a problem, except he was in at 8:10 am yesterday for a drug test as well, but for whatever reason could not contribute a sample. It's against the rules for me to take something after the 24 hour mark, so whenever someone wants to leave and come back at a later time I make it very clear that there is a 24-hour rule, that yes they will have to abide by it, yes I am open weekdays, no I will not stay late on my lunch hour, and no I am not open Saturdays so if it's Friday you'd better get here before 5:00 pm or else.

Yesterday when Mr. McBaldington wanted to leave I made it very clear that if he showed up at 8:11 am, that would be too late (actually I'd cut him some slack, but I don't tell people that up front). I also tell him that I open at 8:00, but if something comes up and I open late he's still out of luck even if the lateness is entirely my fault. I tell him he needs to be in by 5:00 today or he risks not getting the collection done at all.

Now, as it was I got to work on time this morning; with eleven minutes to spare even (for you math whizzes out there, that's 7:49 am). So when Mr. McBaldington shows up at 9:30, an hour and twenty minutes too late, I have no sympathy for him. So of course he says "Well I was here at 8:00 and you weren't open." This is, of course, a flat-out lie. Not only was I at work at 7:49, but I had done a collection by 7:59. I pointed this out on my sign-in sheet that someone had, in fact, signed in at 7:54 and had their collection done by 7:59. Mr McBaldington's response: "Are you calling me a liar?"

I told him no, but he should probably get his watch fixed because obviously it was running at least twelve minutes fast. I told him he would have to get new paperwork from his employer if he wanted to do a collection, and he stormed out. He was back at about 11:45 with new paperwork and his drug test was completed successfully.

Culprit #2: Evil Midget Woman. Evil Midget Woman came in and said she needed a drug test for her parole hearing (or whatever). This is a little out of the ordinary for me; it requires payment up front and an extra form. She wants to pay with her credit card, which is fine, except I have no way to run the card at my office so I have to call my bosses in Tampa. I get in touch with them, rattle off the card number, expiration date, yadda yadda yadda, and the card is declined.

Right then I noticed the number I thought was a 1 was actually a 7. I apologized and rattled off the number again with the 7 in its proper place. The card was declined once again.

I tilted the card and saw that the 7 was actually a 9, and I triple checked the card (by the way: white numbers on a white background is hard to read) to make sure I had it right this time (Evil Midget Woman was getting furious) and rattled it off again, but the card was still declined.

At this point, between me and the other office, all our information was correct. We confirmed it when Evil Midget Woman got on the phone herself. Eventually Tampa told me there was nothing they could do and she'd have to find some other way to pay, and hung up.

The woman informs me that she knows her card went through because it's not really a credit card; it's her debit card. And she, like, just put $126 or whatever in the account, so she knows it's good. I tell her, once again, the card was declined. Her response: "You calling me a liar, boy?" (The addition of "boy" to the question was comical because I towered over this woman. She was like two-foot-nothing. Like a hobbit with a drug problem.)

I told her no, but she'd have to straighten out her card with her bank before we could run it. It was agreed that she would pay with cash, but when she found out she'd need exact change (drug tests cost $38 and I don't keep cash at my office) she left in a huff.

Culprit #3: Teh Glassez. Teh Glassez comes in about 4:00 or so, interrupting my work on a Lord of the Rings jigsaw puzzle. Right away I have to stifle myself because this kid is a goth/punk wannabe with big thick coke-bottle glasses. Seriously, if Steve Urkel were emo... and white... he'd be Teh Glassez.

Now, Teh Glassez doesn't want to empty his pockets. He pouts for a bit until I tell him he can lock his wallet and wallet chain (HAH!) and his half-eaten pack of Starburst in the box. Box goes in the bathroom with you, key stays out here with me. Important to note: I never touch anyone's stuff. If they put it in the box, they put it in the box. And when we're done, they take it back out. So when we're done I watch Teh Glassez take his wallet, wallet chain and half-eaten pack of Starburst out of the box and that's that.

He shows up about a half-hour later saying he left some money in the box by accident, and could he please go back and get it? "Sure," I say, "you can go look. But I'm fairly sure you didn't leave anything in there. I checked it after you left and it was empty."

"Dude," says Teh Glassez in his hardest 'tryin' to sound like a tough guy' voice, "if it's not there I'm going to be somewhat cross, because the logical deduction would be that you took my money. Pray let us investigate, good sir." (He was actually a lot less cordial than this but it wouldn't be nice to reproduce his exact language here.)

I go back and unlock the box for him and, sure enough, it's empty. "Dude, where's my money?" says Teh Glassez. At this point I tell him I don't remember him putting any money into the box, or taking any out, and that all personal effects are solely his responsibility. If he did in fact lose some money (funny how he never mentioned how much) he'd be just out of luck.

"Dude, I put money in your box. What'd you do with it?"

"I didn't take anything out of that box, and there was nothing in there when you left."

"So are you calling me a liar?"

This is the third time I've been asked this today, and I'm sick of it. So I answer his question with a question: "Do you maintain that you put your money in this lockbox earlier today?"

"Yeah, I put it in there."

"Then yes, I am in fact calling you a liar."

Teh Glassez was shocked! He'd been called on his lies! The look on his face was priceless, and not just because of the black lipstick (seriously). He said he was going to call the police; I said fine, you can use my phone. I even have the number handy. He backed down. On his way out the door he said he'd be back with the police.

By this time it was ten minutes to closing time, so I decided to leave early. I am currently enjoying my last night of freedom, because between 7:49 and 8:10 tomorrow (whenever I feel like showing up for work) I will most assuredly be arrested and locked up tight.

It's been fun guys! Write to me in prison.

Suffice it to say, i did not actually go to prison. What a disappointment.

No comments: